Friday, August 21, 2009

War and Peace


In the Classics Book Club I belong to, we read a novel every month (except December); then we meet the third Wednesday of each month to discuss our impressions of the books. We plan ahead and pick our selections at the beginning of each new year.

This year we decided to really take a plunge and read Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace. Since this novel is very long (1215 pages in my copy), we needed more than one month to complete it. We will read starting in October and will finish in January.

In all my English Literature classes at BYU, War and Peace was never assigned as required reading. So.....here's hoping it keeps my interest; just looking at this book is starting to bring up an unpleasant memory of being forced to read Moby Dick over Christmas vacation in my junior year at BYU. At least this time, if I don't like the novel, I can just walk away from it; I won't have to pass a test or write an essay to prove I read it!

1 comment:

chelsea mckell said...

So funny - I totally know how you feel! I'm reading 1984 right now, and people think I'm crazy cuz that's typically something assigned to a highschooler, followed with lots of essays. Reading "just for fun" is way more...fun!