Thursday, December 18, 2008

Winter

Winter can be beautiful. Right now I can see the mountains and valley covered in snow and the snow swirling around in the air. It is pretty. I don't mind snow one bit--if I don't need to go anywhere.

However, the location of our house makes driving anywhere except next door in a snowstorm an adventure that I am not always up for. We live in Corner Canyon in Draper, right next to the new Draper Temple. We are sitting up on a hill, so if we drive, we need to go down the hill to get to stores, appointments, etc. Then, of course, when we are ready to go home, we drive up the hill.

I have had some pretty scary experiences on these hills. Sometimes the roads are clear after a snow storm. During a snow storm, it proves to be a real challenge. We have front wheel drive, not four wheel drive. In icy places, it doesn't matter what "drive" we have.

I planned to go to Riverton High School this morning to take lunch and a Christmas gift to a teacher friend. No problem in cancelling that. My friend understood. My hair appointment at one o'clock is another matter and is not debatable. I forgot my last appointment two weeks ago, so Linda worked me in for today. My hair has a similar look to the Illinois governor who will soon be impeached (kind of a shaggy dog look). Paul says he will get me to my appointment if we have to snowshoe down the hill.

I have definitely become a pansy since I have been retired. While teaching school, I faced snowstorms and slick roads all the time. (By the way, why does Jordan School District never call a snow day--even when it is clearly dangerous to drive?)

Last week Melanie told me something funny that her husband Wally said. She had to do something she didn't want to, and Wally said to her, "Well, just put on your big-girl pants and go for it." So that is what I will do too!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

That is funny! I am glad you got your hair done and returned home safely!