Thursday, December 4, 2008

Gibraltar






Here we are on the rock of Gibraltar. Behind us is a mosque. (I am wearing this same ratty gray sweater in almost all the photos! I actually brought a new beige sweater on the trip, but I only wore it on "Smart Casual" night on the ship.)

I fell in love with the Barbary Apes of Gibraltar. The bus driver stopped the van, and all these really friendly monkeys posed for us and leaped around the van. The one hanging from the van mirror nearly scared my cousin Sharalyn to death when he decided to use her shoulder as a stepping stone to get to the ground. Look closely at him. Doesn't he look like he has an attitude!

We spent 45 minutes touring the World War II tunnels. These tunnels were a fortress within a fortress during the war to protect Gibraltar from attack. The tunnels were large enough to house a hospital, a power station, military headquarters and accommodation for nearly 10,000 troops and civilians.

The fact that I have a "thumbs down" gesture in the tunnels has nothing to do with the quality of the tour. I am extremely claustrophobic, and I can't understand what possessed me to go underground for 45 long minutes. In some places I had to practically wriggle through the spaces to get to the next room. EEEEEkk!!!! (We wore helmets because the ceiling was dripping moisture.) I can't tell you how relieved I was to see the light of day after being squished in these tunnels.

No comments: