Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve


Another year is about to bite the dust. Most people, at the beginning of a new year, find New Year's resolutions to challenge them for the next 365 days. I used to do that; now I do not. I think it is a good idea. I just don't do it.

One thing I have been doing as this year draws to a close is looking at Top Ten Lists. Time Magazine had a bunch of lists for the year, such as the ten most influential people of the year, the top ten scandals, the top ten movies, etc. I was thinking today about my own top ten list: my ten favorite things to do.

Number one on my list is reading. I absolutely love to read!! From the time I was in junior high school, I read as often as possible--not only boring textbooks from classes, but interesting fiction or biographies. During my 8th and 9th grade years, instead of taking P.E. classes, I had the privilege of being the librarian for the school for one period of each day. Kids came into the library and frequently asked me for books I thought were good. Back then, I think I recommended Nancy Drew, Sue Barton--Student Nurse, and other cheesy titles! During the breaks I had in the library, I would, of course, read.

Now I hopefully have a little bit more discernment in my choice of books. I belong to two bookclubs, both keeping me busy reading a novel and a short story every month. In these bookclubs, I find like-minded women who also have an obsession for reading.

I am not sure why I like to read so much. Part of it, I think, has to do with going into other people's worlds and watching their reactions to problems and the challenges they face. Reading has opened a whole world of thinking to me. In my mind, I move out of my Draper neighborhood, the state of Utah, and often our country of the United States. I get to see others cultures, religions, etc.

A down side to my reading obsession is my lack of focus on any other part of my life when I am reading. As a young mother, I remember locking myself in the bathroom to get away from busy toddlers to read for awhile. It didn't take long before the tolddlers found me and were banging on the door for Mommy. After my sweet toddlers were finally asleep at night, I would pick up my book again for a few hours of peace and quiet.

If I do not have a current novel that I am reading, I feel lost. If an especially engaging novel is coming to the end, I am sad that I no longer will be a part of the lives of the characters any more.

After lasagna and salad with friends tonight and the horn blowing of toasting a new year at midnight, when everyone is gone and the house shuts down, I will get out my book again and feel the immense satisfaction of my favorite hobby.

1 comment:

chelsea mckell said...

wow - such a great post! seriously, I loved the explanation of how a reader's mind works and what the draw is. Sadly, I'm not much of a reader. I'm too compulsive - if my house isn't perfectly clean, I don't do anything fun til it is. And with a baby, a messy husband, and a messier ME... yeah, I barely fit my scripture reading time in. But reading a fiction novel is on my 2009 resolutions list, so we'll see!
I love the image of you hiding in the bathroom with the toddlers knocking on the door... so funny. My mom used to do that too. I just thought she was playing games... now I KNOW!