Saturday, October 4, 2008

Piano Lessons




On Monday and Tuesday afternoons, I can be found in our "music room" teaching piano lessons. Retirement is great, and I certainly wouldn't want to go back to the demands of a full-time career; however, there is something very rewarding about teaching a few young students to play the piano.

My students range in age from five to 14 years old. There are 13 students all together, which is just the right size of group for my part-time vocation.

Why do I like teaching piano so much? Well, first of all (and best of all) I only teach one student at a time. In the public schools I taught from 35-40 students in one class. I can focus on the unique talents, abilities, and challenges of each student. Each student can progress at a rate that is just right for his or her comfort zone. There is such a wide range of talent and work ethic of each child that challenge my own abilities to teach.

Another fun thing about teaching piano is trying to find ways to motivate the kids. I have a "Student of the Month" set in a frame on my piano for all the kids to see. The students are always interested in seeing the new student posted every month. Another motivational trick I use is something I learned in a graduate education class at the University of Utah. My teacher at the U had tickets he handed out to us, his students, for various positive ahievements we produced in the class. I pass out what I call "Moore Money", which is also a positive reinforcement tactic. My students earn the pretend money for practicing weeks that are especially good or for good concentration on a lesson day. When they get a certain number of tickets, then they choose something from the treat basket. I find that with younger kids, especially, they focus attention better if they know there is a possible reward at the end of the lesson.

Teaching piano lessons is flexible for my current life. If I am out of town on a trip, then we just don't have lessons for that time period. The students also have times when they are out of town or ill and skip a lesson.

Each April, I host a recital for the students to perform for parents and friends. The students are always proud of their accomplishments. It is a really tangible reward for me to see my students perform at the recital. I become very attached to my students. They are a part of my life.

4 comments:

Marci said...

Here's a shout out to my favorite piano teacher!! :) I really wish now that I would have taken in more seriously. Maybe I could have been teaching piano lessons too! Thanks for putting up with my lack of practicing and losing my piano music. I now have all three of my boys in piano lessons and tell them everyday that I wish I would have practiced more.

I know your students are lucky to have such a great teacher!

Connie and Gary said...

Marilyn!-You blogster!
What a great blog. I really enjoyed reading about your cute children and grandchilden. I will give you an A from one middle school teacher to another.
Best friends,
Connie

Jake said...

We are lucky enough to have Grandma as our piano teacher. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into your lessons. They will appreciate it even more as they get older!
Nat

jen said...

What was I thinking? I had you right there to teach me, and we had a piano. Back then, I never had an interest in learning the piano. Plus, I am pretty sure my mom was tired of battling me on everything else and didn't want to add practicing the piano to the mix.

I'm so happy that you enjoy blogging. I obviously do!