Tuesday, February 3, 2009

An Encounter With A Cow

Friday afternoon my brother Kent called to let me know that my dad had an accident. Dad, Kent, and Mark (grandson) were trying to load some cows into Kent's horse trailer. Dad has been working toward getting out of the "cow business" this year. He sold a bunch of them to Kent, and while helping load them he encountered one mean cow. The cow kicked Dad hard, and he went flying into the air.

The result was a cracked bone for Dad. (I don't know the name of the bone, but it is in the approximate area of where he would carry his wallet.) He went to the emergency room at Payson Hospital and is now at his home trying to recuperate. A walker gets him from room to room, and elevated surfaces on his bed and chairs help him move from one area to the next.

Dad is in good spirits and is doing a little better each day. An orthopedic doctor will look at him next Monday and hopefully give us some guidelines to help him recuperate. (Yes, that appointment was the earliest we could get!)

I am thankful that the accident wasn't any worse, and Dad should make a full recovery. He told us, "I thought I was smarter than a cow, but I was proved wrong."

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I still can't believe this happened to Grandpa. He is one amazing 90-year old, isn't he?

chelsea mckell said...

so sad to hear about - I hate to think of him being in pain.
And that cow is definitely NOT smarter than him - or he'd know not to hurt the man who takes care of him! Or maybe it was upset about a relative getting turned into hamburgers....
=)

Marci said...

Oh my gosh! I am sorry to hear about that! But I have to agree, he is one amazing 90 year old!!