Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Lazy Days of Summer


The end of another school year is fast approaching. I always used to gage my time by the calendar of Jordan School District. By this time of year, I was doggedly counting each day until the last day of school when the students and I could be free!

It has been nine years since I have retired from teaching. The time since then has flown by (unlike the last days of each school year where time dragged by interminably.) I don't miss teaching even one little tiny bit. I don't miss being regulated by a bell during the day. I don't miss trying to interact with 40 students at a time in one class or correcting essays from my 200+ students each year.

I remember the incredible feeling on the last day of school as I walked out of the double doors of Alta High School. Anticipating the long, lazy days of summer always put an extra spring to my steps. As I attended the graduation excercises each year, I felt that I was graduating also, graduating to the summer life that I loved so much.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Hey...I can relate, I retired after 7 years and I haven't missed it to much, I did really miss field day and some of the kids, but it is nice not to have to worry. I didn't realize that you retired right before I started teaching. I am sure that you impacted a lot of students during those years. What will be weird for me will be in August when I don't have to prepare to go back, I think I will be sad then.