Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mom and Me




A week from today is Mother's Day, and my thoughts recently have been a lot about my mom. The first photo displayed is of my mom and me in 1997 before she had dementia. The second photo is of me at around age three. When I look at this photo of me, I think about my mom.

My mother made the dress I am wearing in the picture. That is impressive to me because it is a beautiful dress with lovely detail. My mother fixed my hair with the curls and braids. She would periodically give me a home permanent to make my straight hair curley.

I think what I am trying to say here is that my mother put forth a lot of effort to make me look nice. I appreciate that, along with a million other things my sweet mother did for me.

I am still missing my mom; it has been one and one-half years since she passed away. Before that, she lived with dementia for ten years. If I go back before my mother's dementia, then I can remmeber her at her best.

My mother gave everything she had to her children. I love and appreciate her more and more with the passing years.

3 comments:

Agustina said...

hi! i don't know u and u don't know me... but i got here by chance and i read your article about your mother...
i supose that u and me have very different ages... but i also appreciate those little things my mother does for me... and its good that u remember her with worship for those "silly things" that might seem to other people...
i can see that u loved her a lot... and so did her

well i just wanted to say this..
i hope u don't mind that i signed your blog..

bye bye
best wishes

Natalie said...

Nice words about Grandma. I didn't know she knew how to sew along with all of her many, many other talents!

chelsea mckell said...

aw - I really liked this post. I wish I could've known her before the dementia! She was always so sweet and welcoming from the first day I met her. That picture of you is DARLING! The effort she put into doing your hair is really remarkable - all the curls and cute braids... must have taken quite awhile (especially on a 3 yr old!) I hope your mother's day this year is full of happy memories!