Sunday, April 5, 2009

Heart Problems for Natalie and Melanie's Dad


My daughters called me this morning to tell me their dad is in the hospital. He has an arrhythmia problem that doesn't seem to be responding to medications or a "shocking of the heart" to get it back to normal.

Tomorrow the doctors are going to try a procedure with a special catheter to deliver energy to create controlled lesions on the heart. This would create scar tissue that would promote normal conduction of the rhythm. The doctors will do this through a laser treatment. As you can tell, I don't really know what I am talking about. The procedure is called ablation, and the internet explained it to me.

Last November, Guy had major open-heart surgery to replace a defective valve. It was a successful operation, so this latest problem doesn't involve the new valve in any way.

We are hoping that the laser procedure will be successful, and Guy can return to good health.

As you can see, I have very few photos of my ex-husband. This one shows him walking Melanie down the aisle at her wedding five years ago.

2 comments:

chelsea mckell said...

Wow. I'm like you - I'd have to look up anything too medical-technical like that. Though I never met him of course - and actually don't even know why the divorce happened (I chose not to ask anyone - none of my business!) it's sad to hear about anyone in pain. Because of that simple fact, I hope he gets better soon!

Marci said...

Wow! I am so sorry to hear about this. I hope everything goes as it needs to for the laser procedure. Thanks for posting this - I will call Natalie!