Tuesday, September 30, 2008

In the early hours of October 1st, 2007, my dear mother passed away. Today is the first-year anniversary of her death.

Of course, my memories of Mother are flying around in my brain, and they are not in any particular order or sequence. Maybe I will write just a few lines of early childhood, teenage years, marriage and grandchildren years with my sweet mother.

I see my photos taken as a baby, and I usually had a smile on my face. Mother was holding me, and she looked proud and grateful. I looked happy and contented. Mother made my baby clothes, rompers, quilts, and even my petite, beautiful coats. I have early memories of delicious dinners, a clean and organized house to bring my friends to, usually an offer from my mother for the young visitors to stay for dinner that evening. At a very young age, I was taught by my mom how to write my alphabet and form words at home before I started elementary school. Even as a small child, I knew that I was very lucky to be with such a great mom and dad.

When Kent, Allen, and I grew into the teenage years, we presented our challenges, for sure! My mother was the most amazingly calm person I have ever known. She may have been frustrated with our antics; however, she sat down with us and just talked--no yelling, no accusing, no belittling. Mother was rational and listened to us to try to see our side of the story. Some of the escapades we children got ourselves into were: Marilyn going on a date to the show on Sunday when she knew she shouldn't have done it. Kent and his friends throwing lighted firecrackers down the book chute at the high school library, and Allen and his friend spraying the hose full force with their target being my Dad. Both parents showed a great deal of patience and love while disciplining us.

My mother really shined as a grandmother. My two daughters looked forward to the day we could go to Spanish Fork to visit Grandma and Grandpa. Grandma McKell would take the girls to the grocery store and let them buy extra (not-so-nutritional) goodies to eat. She loved to play those boring board games kids like so much: Candyland or Shoots and Ladders. She would like to buy new Easter dresses for Natalie, Melanie, and cousin Melissa.

My mother was my friend. I didn't have a sister, so I was glad that she would be there to listen to me. Mother was a friend but she was just as much of a role model. I watched the way she dealt with difficult situations without falling apart. She kept her cool and stood up strong and confident; she could tackle any situation. When I am in a very stressful situation, I always think of Mother and how she would handle the challenge. My mother was a great role model in giving her perspective of life situations. By watching her choose whether to see the glass as half-full or half-empty when challenges were put before her, she would invariably choose the half-full glass.

I remember the wonderful aroma of bacon cooking when we were staying overnight at Grandma's house. Mother let me sleep as long as I wanted to. Then she would fix a big breakfast for the girls--singing while she worked.

What a fortunate woman I am to have had such a wonderful mother. A piece of my life is now empty that no other person can replace. Only a mother thinks that her child is almost perfect. She thinks the child is incredibly intelligent, pretty, clever, funny, etc. Will you ever get another cheerleader in your life quite like your wonderful Mother? I know that I won't.


Marilyn

5 comments:

Patti said...

Wonderful tribute to your mother, Marilyn! It is hard to believe it has been a year already.

Oh, and I am still laughing (and hoping Keaton & Sullivan never read the story) about firecrackers thrown down the library book chute. ;o)

Natalie said...

What a sweet tribute to Grandma! I've been thinking about her all day. Grandma taught me a lot about patience, kindness and unconditional love. She packed a lot of strength in that little body. She was the perfect Grandma!
Love, Natalie

Ashley said...

Marilyn

I may have a few typos because I am typing through my tears. I have been thinking a lot of grandma today, it really makes me feel bad when I think of her not being there walking around their house in her little house coat. I cannot even express how much love and appreciation I have for Grandma McKell, she was the sweetest, most patient, giving, loving, and enjoyable people to spend time with. I really loved how she was never in a hurry and enjoyed the simple things in life. She never needed anything fancy and I feel really lucky that I have such great role models to look up to. You are also such an awesome aunt and have been so good to Grandma and Grandpa and to our family. I am sure that today has been difficult, I called Grandpa and I think that he has been having a hard day as well.

Thanks for writing that tribute. It was really special for me to read it.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother, Marilyn. These anniversaries are so important because they seem to prod us to do more than remember, but to commemorate, and I'm so glad that you've brought your mother to life here in this blog. I'm thinking about you as you continue to learn how to live without her presence in your life.

Marci said...

Wow. That was simply beautiful. I know your mom was a wonderful person! I remember her kindness and her sweet smile. It was fun to learn some things I didn't know. And those photos are pricelss. I agree, there is no other cheerleader quite like a mother. I am sure you miss her so much. Thanks for sharing a little bit about her.