Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Birthday, Grandma Frost


If she were alive, Leona Frost would be 97 years old today. (I remember because she died just before Megan was born, and she was almost 90 years old at the time.)

Leona was the sweetest, most giving person. I couldn't have wished for a better mother-in-law. She was also a fantastic grandma to my two daughters.

My mother-in-law was a fabulous cook. She frequently made huge dinners for the whole family as we would get together in her home. As part of the family tradition on Christmas morning, she cooked memorable breakfasts of sausage, eggs, biscuits, etc. I never tasted anything I didn't like that Leona made. She would usually say something funny like, "Oh, here is a pie I baked. It probably tastes terrible, but maybe you can choke it down."

Leona was always kind and thoughtful to me--both before the divorce and afterward as well. She told me frequently that, no matter what, she would always think of me as her girl. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about that.

Leona's legacy will live on in her children and grandchildren. Whenever I see someone in her family going out of their way to help someone else, I think of Leona and her incredible giving nature. She would be proud of her posterity and how they share their time and goods with others.

Leona Frost was one-in-a-million! I was very fortunate to be her daughter-in-law.

1 comment:

jen said...

My mom and I love that you blog and facebook. Isn't it fun? You are one cool Grandma (you still don't seem old enough to be a Grandma)!! Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. Marci and I were talking about how you had it all figured out. Your house was clean but very inviting and comfortable!!! We did grow up in an awesome neighborhood!