Thursday, January 8, 2009

Chimi


I have had a number of pets in my life, but there is one who stands out far above the others. Her name was Chimi. She was my constant companion for 15 years; it has been almost seven years since she died, but I still think about her often.

I know what you are thinking when you look at her picture. She looks like a rat! Yes, I agree she wasn't a beauty, and she didn't even have a nice personality. She barked at everyone who came to the door (especially the boys who came to pick up my daughters for dates). Nervous, paranoid, high-strung, possessive--these are all adjectives that described my Chimi.

Then why did I love her so much? Nobody else did (except maybe Natalie). In fact, most people found her extremely annoying. I loved her because she loved me. No matter what, she loved me. We got her right after my divorce, and I needed someone to love me. I wasn't very lovable at the time, and Chimi wasn't a "someone", but she did a wonderful job of loving.

I still get teary-eyed when I think of Chimi. Sometimes she danced around and around the dining room table because she was so happy to see me. No one has done that since, and I expect no one will!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Chimi, Chimi... I miss her too. That was one smart dog! Smart and loyal and really possessive of her bones.

jen said...

I remember Natalie brought Chimi over to visit right after you got her. She got excited and peed on one of us. Her personality was so funny. I miss Shadow. I'm sure not many would understand why we would miss a big black dog that was a bit spoiled, and very annoying, but we all got very attached.