Saturday, January 3, 2009

Best Friends - Marilyn and Diane - 1957


Today I went to my friend's dad's funeral. He was 95 years old. I went to the funeral to see my friend Diane and also to hear my dad speak at her dad's funeral. Diane's dad and mine worked together for 30 years at the Spanish Fork Post Office. They also worked together in the LDS First Ward of Spanish Fork in various church positions for many years. Dad gave an excellent talk. I was proud of him.

Diane and I met in grade school and became good friends. The memories are numerous: gossiping about our school teachers, stealing apples from her neighbor's tree, sledding down a snowy hill behind our house, eating dinner at each other's houses (her mother made delicious toasted tuna sandwiches), relishing sleepovers where the last thing on our minds was sleep. Diane was the first person to inform me how babies were made ( we were in the 4th grade). We both agreed that with our parents it couldn't possibly have happened that way!

It was wonderful to see my old friend today. Since I saw her last, we both have more wrinkles in our faces and more weight on our bodies. As you can see from the photo, we were skinny, skinny 12 year olds sitting on the piano bench (I am the one on the left). She still has the same sweet smile, and we both were so happy to see each other again.

4 comments:

Marci said...

That photo is priceless! What a fun glimpse into your childhood. Thank goodness for forever friends I am so grateful for my BFFs, Natalie and Michele)!!
I have memories of sleepovers at your house with Nat you making us scrambled eggs with cheese and ham. And who could forget your amazing brownies with marshmallows? Thanks for the great memories! :)

Natalie said...

What a great picture. Why haven't I every seen that before?

Marilyn said...

It is in my scrapbook of my growing up years. Diane and I were tiny in the photo and the walls surrounded us and took up most of the picture. I cropped the photo, and so I saw it really for the first time too.

chelsea mckell said...

Yeah, your dad told me about that funeral; when I talked to him on Sunday. He said something like “you’d think at 90 years old I wouldn’t have to speak at funerals anymore.” Funny guy.
Cute picture! And I think I see a McKell family photo in the background. So I’m guessing you scanned it to get it on there – that’s smart to scan your old photos. In case you ever lose them or they get ruined, you’ll have digital backups!
I’m hope I’m still friends with my friends 30 years from now. That reunion/funeral sounds so sweet.