Monday, September 14, 2009

September 17th - Grandpa McKell's 91st Birthday

Dad is the child in the stroller. (I think he looks a little like Brian, his grandson.)
Mark and Erma's wedding day - January 9, 1941
Dad and his brother Art with their mother (Rebecca McKell)
Dad and I when I was a baby. Look how slender Dad is.
Sometimes Dad would take all three of us children for a bike ride.
A family photo - I think I was a sophomore in college at the time.
Dad and Mother standing by their green car - Most of the grandchildren remember this car.
Dad and his siblings - Della, Art, and Mary Helen
80th Birthday Photo

Thursday, September 17th, my dad will turn 91 years old. He is still in good health and is active and involved in life.

Dad attends an organ lesson in Payson every Monday. He goes to a Senior Citizen's dinner each month. Keeping six rental homes occupied and up-to-date also takes some of his time. He faithfully plays his home organ every day, and he writes in his journal on a regular basis. Church meetings and home teaching responsibilities also occupy his time. He is a busy guy!!

During this past summer, Dad had many projects. He had roofing repairs made on his home and the rental home next door. He had some cement work done on the two homes' porches and walkways. Deciding to update his home, Dad bought new living room and dining room furniture and had his bedroom and the living room painted. He marked off an area behind the grass of the rental home next door with a fence and now he uses the gravelled area behind the fence to park two vehicles. Wow! Was your summer that busy?

My dad looks young for his age. Three times this last year (THREE TIMES!!)
someone asked me (when I was with Dad) if I was his wife. It was great for his ego, but not so great for mine.

Happy Birthday, Dad. You make my life richer. You are a wonderful dad, and I am so lucky to have you still with us (even if I sometimes have to get called your wife). I love you and hope that you have many more birthdays to share with us.

3 comments:

chelsea mckell said...

That's hilarious! (you being mistaken for his wife).
Great tribute! Although I don't think he looked like Brian in the stroller pic. I think that looks like Chad.
I wish we were having another huge family party for his birthday! Maybe when he hits 95??

blm_mckell said...

I would agree that he does look a little like Brian.

I like the pictures with the family.

Grandpa is an amazing man. I can't believe he is going to be 91.

The house looks great. We really like the new blinds and furniture.

Ashley said...

I can't believe that people would mistake you for his wife, I am surprised he didn't tell me that. I am also surprised he didn't tell me about taking an organ lesson, I didn't know he is still doing this. I also remember the green car, how could we forget about it. He is a great man and I hope we have many more years to come with him. He brings joy to all of us. You are such a great daughter to him and I know he has appreciated you helping him with his house.