Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Positive View of Teenagers

I had the best experience yesterday. My friend Suzette had a birthday, and I decided to take lunch to her at Riverton High School where she teaches.

I had to park in the visitor section of the parking lots, which put me quite a distance from Suzette's classroom. Hoisting all the stuff I needed to take (sandwiches, chips, cookies, large drinks, even larger birthday gift, purse), I started walking from my car to Suzette's classroom door. I was doing a balancing act, and it probably showed from the frustration on my face.

A teenage girl, who was on her lunch break, saw me struggling and asked if she could help. She took half of the items, and we made our way to Suzette's classroom on the second floor. How sweet was that?

Keep in mind that I taught teenagers in the public schools for 20 years. The kind young lady who helped me reminded me of all the truly great teenagers out there. Certainly there were the jerks, but all in all, the nice ones definitely outweighed the obnoxious ones.

This sweet teenage girl (why didn't I ask her name) made my day!

1 comment:

chelsea mckell said...

Nice to hear there's some good ones out there! I get annoyed with the ones who hangout at the public park here, doing all sorts of things they're not supposed to....